Techsol New Product Announcement: Techsol’s TSCM-233 computer module enables low-cost handheld devices.
Techsol's Touch Screen Computer Module (TSCM) simplifies creation of Touch Screen Computers.
Vancouver, BC - June 21st, 2011
Technical Solutions Inc. (Techsol) releases a new, modular touch screen computer. With 500 MIPS of ARM computer power, DDR memory, interfaces for LCD, touch, headphones, MIC, on-board power supplies, and even a built-in Lithium Ion battery charger, it’s an ideal computer module for small, handheld devices.
Techsol is now offering an extremely cost-effective computer with a Color TFT LCD and Touch panel interfaces plus assorted serial, Audio, and other I/O, targeting low-cost devices such as industrial handhelds and other HMI (Human-Machine Interface) applications. This standard, off-the-shelf, Medallion Linux on ARM-powered computer module features:
- 500 MIPS Freescale i.MX ARM processor running Techsol’s Medallion Linux OS
- 64 MB of DDR memory
- Booting from NAND or on-board microSD card
- Direct-connect support for user SD card in addition
- Optional boot from Serial NOR FLASH for ultra-high-reliability applications
- Connects to Display board or I/O boards with simple, low-cost 2‑mm dual-row headers
- extremely low power consumption permits fanless operation and portable applications
- 18‑bit direct-wire for TFT LCDs
- 4‑wire resistive touch screen connection
- high-speed USB 2.0 Host port
- high-speed USB 2.0 Device port (shared internally via MUX)
- dual UARTs with IrDA support
- dual I²C for HW management, and user device interface
- high-speed SPI, GPIOs, etc.
- power supply interface for 3.3 V DC in, or single Li‑Ion battery
- integrated battery charger for single Li‑Ion battery
- 1‑wire interface for coulomb counter
- on-board stereo headphone amplifier
- built-in MIC amplifier
- analog inputs for battery monitoring or other uses
- Optional Fast Ethernet (10BaseT/100BaseTX) interface with lines for LED status indicators
- SW-controlled beeper with frequency/tone control
- Ships with the proven Medallion Linux 2.6.3x plus drivers pre-installed
Dimensions: Width: 80 mm, 3.4″ Height: 60 mm, 2.4″ Thickness: < 5 mm, 0.2″
Mounting: There are 3 holes for #4 bolts to secure the board stack if required.
There is an option for “pass‑through” headers to stack between display and I/O boards.
Construction: all parts on one side of the board, for reduced assembly processes, lowering device cost
GUI options include:
- Linux Framebuffer (FB), operating in 16‑bit, 65,536‑color mode
- X11 (Xorg) on FB for standard Linux/Unix graphics
- FLTK on X, for a full-featured, extensible, yet free GUI
- GTK+ on X, for full PC compatibility
- Qt on X, or Qt Embedded
- too many other GUIs to list
- Ask about Web browser support
Other SW packages:
- HTTP servers
- USB drivers for many devices
- WiFi drivers for USB Wireless LAN adapters
- and much more
WHY SHOULD I BUY IT?
“These computers are built to the same quality levels as our classic Medallion CPU modules,” said Brian Empey, P.Eng., CEO of Techsol, “but they have more features integrated and a lower acquisition cost, making them suitable for a wider variety of low-cost applications.”
Not surprisingly, Techsol has already developed some TSCM‑powered products for its clients, as this technology has been under development since 2009.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
Pricing for units without Ethernet or the optional “pass-through” headers:
|Order Quantity||Unit Price in $||** Optional Ethernet||Optional Pass‑Through connectors|
|higher||Contact us for a quote.|
** If you require Ethernet, then the TSCM-283 will probably serve you better with double the RAM at the same price.
Every unit is tested running Linux before it ships! Single units of the TSCM are available with Display and/or I/O boards as development kits with full SW development tools and support. Call for pricing.
Development kits are usually available from stock. Production volumes are typically available in 6 to 8 weeks.
Embedded Engineering is the same all over the world. Engineers face the same challenges of having too much to do, and not enough time or money to do it with. Techsol's Medallion Classic and TSC modules address this issue and provide a solution that extends into the production stages of a product, not just the proof-of-concept stage like most SBCs.
Techsol's Medallion system is unique in the embedded computer world. The Medallion Single-board computer product line encompasses multiple CPUs, and different configurations with the same CPU. However, the pin-out and form-factor remain the same, even after 10 years. And the TSCM will also have a similar long availability for "planned NON-obsolesence". There is one Medallion module that is best matched to your application.
By designing with the Medallion system, you are effectively out-sourcing your CPU design and Linux porting with no up-front NRE fees! That lets your team concentrate on the hardware and software portions of your product that your customers see. The result is that you can create a higher-quality product in a fraction of the time (and cost) of designing everything yourself from scratch! Plus, the interchangeable modules extend product life-cycle times.
Techsol is headquartered in Delta, British Columbia, Canada, where the mighty Fraser River meets the Pacific Ocean.