Techsol Product Announcement: TPC-43A Medallion Touch Panel Computer
Techsol is proud to announce the TPC-43A Medallion Touch Panel Computer.
Delta, British Columbia, Canada - February 13, 2008
Techsol is now offering an extremely cost-effective computer with a Color, TFT LCD and Touch panel targeting Building Automation applications. This standard, off-the-shelf, ARM-powered, wall-mount, two-board set features:
- WqVGA (480x272) 4.3", Color, TFT LCD Panel in Landscape format, with 256,000 colors, adjustable LED Backlight, and Touch panel
- Powered by a standard Medallion CPU Module (an SA2410-640 is included) for flexibility, the 32-bit ARM9 processor features 32 kB of cache, 32 - 64 MB of SDRAM, and 128 MB or more of NAND flash, plus a separate NOR flash for reliable bootloader and SW update options
- Low-power, passive cooling enables fanless operation
- High-quality, 16-bit Audio with onboard speaker
- Low-power, Real-Time Clock (RTC) with Battery Backup included
- Hidden Memory Card Connector for Secure Digital (SD) and MultiMediaCard (MMC) (for user-upgradeable storage expansion)
- Full-speed, USB Host port (USB Type A connector) supports Hidden Wireless Expansion, such as 802.11 or Bluetooth
- USB Device (Gadget) port (USB Type B connector)
- Fast Ethernet (10BaseT/100BaseTX) interface with RJ45 connector featuring integrated LED status indicators
- Optional ZigBee wireless built-in for wireless data collection and building management
- RS232 serial interface on DE9 connector for development versions, to accelerate SW development
- Power options: 10 - 30 VDC or 7 - 24 VAC
- To reduce power consumption, software can turn the backlight intensity ON/OFF and control the brightness
- Ships with the proven Medallion Linux 2.6 plus drivers pre-installed!
- Width: 129 mm, 5.1"
- Height: 111 mm, 4.4"
- Thickness: 28 mm, 1.1"
- Mounting: Even though the unit covers a 2-gang electrical box, the power and Ethernet are on one side, so it can be mounted to a 1-gang electrical box.
GUI options include:
- Linux Framebuffer (FB), operating in 16-bit, 65,536-color mode
- X11 (Xorg using fbdev) on FB for standard Linux/Unix graphics
- FLTK on X, for a full-featured, extensible, yet Free GUI
- GTK+ on X, for full PC compatibility
- QtEmbedded on FB for a contemporary, appealing visual design and enhanced functionality
- We've even ported over obscure GUIs, such as EZWGL, for critical control environments where C++ is not allowed (such as food processing lines)
"This computer provides more features at a lower cost than anything else on the market." said Brian Empey, P.Eng., CEO of Techsol. "This is an example of the cost-effectiveness of mating a standard CPU module to a custom I/O board. If necessary, we can quickly modify the design to meet a customer's unique needs, too!"
Not surprisingly, Techsol has developed many products that use LCDs for its clients. These products range from FDA-approved medical devices to high-volume consumer gadgets.
In fact, this product has been in trials with a number of customers needing a wall-mount computer with a bright, sharp display, but at a low price-point.
Pricing for units with all options except wireless:
|Order Quantity||Unit Price (standard 200 MHz speed)||Discount|
Development kits based on the TPC-43A are available from stock. Production volumes will be ready to ship in March.
Every unit is tested running Linux before it ships! Single units are available as development kits with full SW development tools and support. Call for pricing.
Embedded Engineering is the same all over the world. Engineers face the same challenges of having too much to do, and not enough time or money to do it with. Techsol's Medallion CPU modules address this issue and provide a solution that extends into the production stages of a product, not just the proof-of-concept stage like most SBCs.
Techsol's Medallion system is unique in the embedded computer world. The Medallion Single-board computer product line encompasses multiple CPUs, and different configurations with the same CPU. However, the pin-out and form-factor remain the same. There is one Medallion module that is best matched to your application.
By designing with the Medallion system, you are effectively out-sourcing your CPU design and Linux porting with no up-front NRE fees! That lets your team concentrate on the hardware and software portions of your product that your customers see. The result is that you can create a higher-quality product in a fraction of the time (and cost) of designing everything yourself from scratch! Plus, the interchangeable modules extend product life-cycle times.
Techsol is headquartered in Delta, British Columbia, Canada, where the mighty Fraser River meets the Pacific Ocean.